Monday, July 25, 2011

Missing Chicken Good News and Bad/Good News

I got home from vacation Saturday and went out to check on the chickens and let them out. So of course I did a head count and another to come to only 7 birds. And guess whose is missing one of my WL/EE hens. Strangely it always seems to be hens that go missing. So I look around hoping she just got left out and roosted in a tree, but no such luck. So I kept an eye out for her hoping she would reappear.

So these morning I walk outside and hear clucking from a bush and think "I didn't leave anyone out?!" , so I head over and catch a flash of white feathers moving away from me. I follow around the bush until I got a semi-clear look and see it's my missing hen! I head out let everyone else out knowing there is no way I'm going to catch her and hoping she will join the group and maybe go back in tonight.

Feed and water Kernel and check on the others food and water, then head back out to see the formerly missing WL/EE with the birds who have headed out and see her puffed up to beach ball size and clucking at anyone who gets close. I knew the behavior insistently she is broody as can be. Which no madder how badly I want more birds my mom has banned  getting or hatching more. So I keep glancing outside to see if she is going back to a nest and the last place I saw her is right by an area I've seen them in before which is a little path they made going in to a hillside covered in weeds and thorns. The next time I looked she had disappeared.

I checked out the hillside and there is no way I can get far enough into the hill to check for a nest. So basically I'm going to see what happens, if I can catch her I will lock her up and brake her of being broody, if not I'll see if she can make it about 17 or 18 more days to when about the hatch date should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment