Thursday, July 7, 2016

Blood, Poop, and Tears

I've spent the last few days trying to keep everything together and all I want to do is cry. Tuesday night Nick started straining to poop, I didn't think much of it and made sure his water dish was full. Then Wednesday morning came and it got worse he got me up around 5 which is 3-4 hours to early for him to go out. Came down to a couple spots of pee and a small bit of diarrhea . Let him out and cleaned up the mess, went back to bed. He awoke me again at 6 to the same joy at which point I gave up on sleep and looked up cures for constipation. Gave him some of the canned food I keep around for the cats mixed with water to help him get some more fluids and took him for a walk around the yard. Not a lot of progress was made and I had to go to work.

I left my roomates' with both my cell and work number and picked up wet food actually meant for a dog. I unfortunately had to run to my dad's house to pick up his mail and I finally got to head home. Still no luck on the pooping front. More wet food and walks were provided with no real luck. He got a little bit out so I decided to hold off on a vet visit, until I saw how he was in the morning. Well morning came early at 5:45 and my floor covered with a mix of diarrhea, pee, and vomit. Also with some more straining and a new symptom: no desire to eat. And if you have ever meet a beagle, let alone Nick you know this is not a good sign. But the vet clinic doesn't open till 8 so we both fell asleep on the couch. He seemed more comfortable then he had been but the no eating thing was worrying. So we made a call to the vets office which was having issues of their own with their computer system being down, but they got as an appointment at 3.

Got to the vets and got an exam and an x-ray. No blockage, the bones he got into the other night weren't stuck, in fact he really wasn't constipated the straining was a symptom of his diarrhea. But we had to add to the bad news they did a urine sample and unlike all the pee I've cleaned up (he has had some issues since a UTI last summer) there was blood and bits of gunk all through it indicating an infection. But we had more great news the mass on his side which I've been concerned about shows up on his x-ray possibly indicating  that it is cancerous, which they would like to do a ultrasound on to get a better look at at some point. 

But to add to my lovely day he has two medications he must take to knock out this infection and help with everything. The only problem is Nick hates medicine with a passion and he knows when you are trying to hide it in food. So we are now trying to get 3 pills a day into him without him catching on or me getting bit (again) in the process.

But to add to all the tears from this, because of some issues with my insurance I've been off my antidepressant for about 2 weeks, so I'm in withdrawal from that which is messing with my mood and and ability to cope with things. I also need to get the insurance figured out to get up to date on vaccines so I can meet my cousin's new baby. I still haven't had luck finding a full time job and everything I try to figure out from a job to getting a new phone to projects in the house seems to go wrong. Oh and with the vets computers down I get to wait to see how much this visit cost me (x-ray alone was $95) and I still need to make an appointment with them to get his shots, check on the infection after the meds are done, and possibly an ultrasound. So this week sucked and I just want it to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment