Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Across the Universe (Across the Universe #1)

I realize that I haven't been posting much on my reading lately, but I have been reading just not posting. So far I've read 110 books this year (working on 111!) and I've been trying to keep up on my reviews on Goodreads.com (I'm Caitlin on there and the bottle gourd bloom picture is my avatar) .  So I'm going to start posting my reviews on here again starting with a book I really liked and gave 4 stars and please note there is some some what small spoilers inclosed.

 I started this book think this would be a romance in space, something okay but not amazing. But I ended up really liking it.

This is the story of a girl named Amy who joined her parents to be frozen and sent to a new plant as our earth isn't doing so well. It's suppose to take 300 years to reach this new plant and her parents are experts need to settle it. While they are frozen in time, Elder who is one day to take over the ship learns some secrets of the ship and not all of them good.... But when Amy is woken and almost dies from it and other frozens die or almost die, Elder and Amy most find out the truth.

This is more of a Utopian world then anything else. Here are some similarities I found with some other books.

The Giver- The passing down of secrets between two males, in Giver the Giver and Receiver and in Across the Universe Eldest and Elder. Also the drug control.

Brave New World- The class structure, control of class before birth, and once again drug control.

But it is it's own book and is special, come on it's in space! I did have some trouble getting into it but after that I loved it, even if I figured out a few things ahead of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment